From: Michael Walter (michael.walter_at_[hidden])
Date: 2007-02-09 09:35:58

On 2/9/07, Andreas Harnack <ah.boost.02_at_[hidden]> wrote:
> You're right, there is a computational limit, but I wouldn't expect to
> a see a dimension with the power of 31. Exponends of 4 are about the
> highest I've ever seen, and (2*3*5*7*11*13*17)^3 still fits in 57 bits,
> so we might want to use long or even long long unsigned ints, but that
> should be fine for most situations.

Alright, I was thinking of 32 bits which would overflow
(significantly?) earlier. Still, I feel slightly uneasy about this
limitation as well as the asymmetry mentioned above.

I also wonder how to extend this concept to allow defining custom
units and/or unit systems in a sensible way.

Regards,
Michael