From: Vladimir Prus (ghost_at_[hidden])
Date: 2007-02-21 13:22:12

David Abrahams wrote:

> * If we drop the ability to arbitrarily choose a version string, we
> need a way to identify different configurations of a toolset that
> may have the same version number. For example:
>
> - You may have both Cygwin and MinGW gcc 3.4 installed
>
> - You may want to experiment with a special gcc build having C++0x
> features
>
> - You may need a convenient way to identify a special configuration
> of an existing toolset.
>
> The solution we came up with is to add an optional argument to
> "using" that allows you to create a special toolset subfeature
> on-the-fly, something like:
>
> using gcc : 3.4 : /usr/local/conceptgcc/bin/g++ : conceptgcc ;
>
> This feature could then also be used to identify the toolset on the
> command-line, something like:
>
> bjam toolset=conceptgcc

I'm actually not sure if using "toolset=XXX" like this to alias
to some other set of properties is good idea -- we might end up
with lots of corner cases. I'd
much rather have some "user-defined" subfeature, and then use:

        gcc-3.4-conceptgcc,

or maybe

        gcc-3.4 flavour=conceptgcc

or maybe

        gcc-3.4 <some-better-feature-name>=conceptgcc

But otherwise I agree with that Dave said.

- Volodya