From: Robert Ramey (ramey_at_[hidden])
Date: 2007-02-25 12:19:12

Hmmm - I'm not sure if I'm an offender here. For HEAD (aka boost 1.35) I
replaced
the usage of Boost Test with boost/detail/lightweight test. I found it to
be:

a) sufficient for my needs
b) easier to use
c) not requiring build of another library - which is simultaneously and
continuously
being enhanced. So sometimes test failures were artifacts of the test
system. This
resulted in lots of time being spent to distinguish them.
d) I believe that starting with Boost 1.35 - support for older, less
conforming
compilers will no longer be available, it was convenient to me to be able
test
on compilers that the serialization library can work with but the test
system
can't.

When I switched over to boost/detail/lightweight/test and re-compiled, I
found
a number of test macros weren't supported in the new system. In some cases
I altered my tests to use supported macros, and in other cases I implemented
in the missing macros in the common header that all serialization tests
invoked.
I used the same names that Boost Test uses. This would permit me to
switch back to Boost Test should I later decide to do that. Its possible
that this might have created some confusion - or maybe not.

Which brings up a larger issue. It's very time consuming to be
simultaneosly
testing and developing all of boost at once. I'm not referring to actually
running
the tests - though that is a problem. I'm refering to the fact that
although I don't
change anything in my code - I can all of sudden get a raft of new
"regressions"
because of a change or error in some other library. Then I have to spend
some
time finding the source of the new error which could be anywhere.

In the future I plan to do the following in my own environment.

Run all serialization tests against the latest boost official release. When
all tests
pass I will:

a) check batch of changes into the HEAD
b) make available the snapshot of the file altered since the latest boost
offical release on my website. This will permit those who can't or
don't want to wait for the next official release to use the latest
fixs/enhancements with the confidence that the have been tested
at least on a few compilers.

Robert Ramey