From: Péter Szilágyi (peterke_at_[hidden])
Date: 2007-02-27 16:01:51

> Sure, I can. If there are a number of people who would like to get
> involved,
> may be we can drum up enough momentum and get some space in the sandbox ?
> (Right after the switch to subversion... :-) )

That would be great.

Actually, it is what *you* put into it. Compiler decides what the size
> of wchar_t should be. As long as your code points fit into that size, you
> will be fine. For example you can store UTF-16 characters in 4-byte
> wchar_t.

Well that's true, but wouldn't that be a waste? The other problem is that in
UTF-32 every single "character" is an actual separate entity. In UTF-16 and
UTF-8 espcially, entities are made up of multiple "characters", so you would
need to "decode" them to their 32bit representation in order to use them
correctly. (Actually, doing it this way would lead to quite a flexible
lib... only the reader and the writer must be aware of the conversions and
internally a wstring will suffice...)

> (I'd dare to say that those who propose to re-implement everything inside
> boost
> > either suffer the NotInventedHere syndrome, don't have a good
> understanding of
> > what XML is, or grossly underestimate the required work, not only to
> implement
> > it, but also to make it reasonably efficient.)
>
> I'd second that. One middle-ground option would be to include a
> small XML parser

 How much functionality do you mean by "small XML parser"?

Peter