From: Hugh Wimberly (hugh.wimberly_at_[hidden])
Date: 2007-03-21 08:18:34

Woah. I didn't really expect that response. The reason I initially asked is
that I remember a few years back when a substantial portion of the code to
Windows 2000 (I think?) was leaked, and some people expressed concerns that
they could be exposed to lawsuits if they even looked at the code and then
at a later date wrote some code for an operating system that performed
something similar. However, I think those concerns (if they make sense at
all) would be more over patent law than copyright law.

I think it's fairly (?) clear that using code from other projects licensed
under the GPL to gain knowledge about the algorithms so that I can implement
them in a different context is okay, and that's what I intended to do all
along.

Regards,
Hugh