From: Braddock Gaskill (braddock_at_[hidden])
Date: 2007-03-25 11:23:04

On Sat, 24 Mar 2007 19:29:12 +0200, Peter Dimov wrote:
> In my proposed model, cancel() doesn't place an exception into the future.
> It's a consumer-side operation, used to indicate that the consumer is no
> longer interested in the outcome. set_exception( fork_canceled() ) is called
> by the producer if the cancel() call succeeds in canceling the task before
> it has finished.

This is a better behavior - I like it. It keeps the clear separation of
future/promise (consumer/producer). The consumer can "request" a cancel()
through the future, but it is still up to the producer to do something
about it through the promise (possibly within the cancel_handler callback
if desired) or ignore it. I don't see any downside - I'll change my
implementation to match.

The promise/future split with reference-counted promises keeps looking
better and better to me.

braddock