From: Stefan Seefeld (seefeld_at_[hidden])
Date: 2007-03-26 15:28:22

Roland Schwarz wrote:
> Howard Hinnant wrote:
>> layer (and that has been my sense from the boost community as well: "I
>> want boost + cancellation").
>
> May I drop in an innocent (or blaspheming?) question?
>
> Why do we want cancellation?
> Which kind of cancellation do we want (if at all)?

Cancellation implies a system call, as it is most useful in conjunction
with implicit cancellation points such as blocking system calls (read(), say).

The one use case that could be implemented in user-space is where the
developer explicitely calls pthread_testcancel(), and so could be
implemented on top of an alternative API. Not so the first case mentioned
above.

Regards,
                Stefan