From: Caleb Epstein (caleb.epstein_at_[hidden])
Date: 2007-04-01 19:52:26

On 3/31/07, JD <jean.daniel.michaud_at_[hidden]> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> So here is the question:
> "Is there any interest in a logging library for boost?"

Of course there is.

I see from later emails you've read the discussion surrounding John
Torjo's submission (some of which was from me). Thanks for taking the
time to do that. You might also give careful reading to Gennadiy
Rozental's review of the library, which I believe convinced John to
retract his submission:

http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.lib.boost.devel/134338/focus=134399

You might also want to look at this message, where I took a brief stab
at implementing some of the concepts that were raised in the library
proposal discussion:

http://article.gmane.org/gmane.comp.lib.boost.devel/135968

> Here is a small example: [...]
>
> You can find the first draft of a logging library in the boost
> Sandbox vault. It consists of a header files, some examples and
> documentation. Put the file at your boost root folder and unzip it.

Where? I find few web sites as difficult to locate content in as the
Boost Vault, so please post a fully qualified URL or the filename and
the folder in which it can be found so we can look at it. Searching
for "logging" turns up nothing useful.

Aside[1]: Why does the Vault have *so many* folders, many of which are
empty? I think this adds to the difficulty in finding arbitrary code.

Aside[2]: Can the Vault URLs be made shorter (e.g. so that they don't
include some long PHP session ID that makes sharing difficult)?

> So let me know if you think it worth something or not.

In your example above, you're showing what looks like a 100%
macro-based interface. I would recommend strongly against this.

Any logging library should be free-standing and usable without
*requiring* macros like the above.

There will almost certainly need to be macros to implement
functionality like "don't format this if it won't be logged", but it
is more important to demonstrate the core classes than the macros as
an introduction to how the library works.

--
Caleb Epstein