From: Stefan Seefeld (seefeld_at_[hidden])
Date: 2007-04-01 20:26:34

David Abrahams wrote:
> on Sun Apr 01 2007, "MÃ¥rten RÃ¥nge" <marten.range-AT-gmail.com> wrote:

>> I would also think that packaging boost in different packages (a small base
>> package and then perhaps each individual library as a package) would give
>> benefits to the development of the new releases. Right now I have the
>> feeling that getting a new release is rather daunting task. Which I guess
>> comes from boost being a monolithic, large library that supports many
>> different compilers and platforms.
>
> No, boost is not even one library much less a monolithic one. Boost
> is a library collection. I've seen the dependencies among the Boost
> libraries graphed, and unlike some other development frameworks,
> which just show up as a big blob, Boost is neatly partitioned and the
> dependencies tend to be a unidirectional DAG.

Whether boost is 'monolithic' or a 'library collection' seems to me a rather
academic question, at least as far as boost users are concerned, as
they can't download and install individual libraries.

As far as the release process is concerned, it would certainly help if
the regression testing would be at least somewhat modular.
Having test runs involve not only all libraries, but also all build variants
and all (available) toolchains is a very significant slowdown.

Regards,
                Stefan