From: Konstantin Litvinenko (Konstantin.Litvinenko_at_[hidden])
Date: 2007-04-02 04:36:31

Hello, JD!
You wrote on Sun, 01 Apr 2007 12:08:00 +0200:

      J> Thanks Jody, we should definitely avoid starting from scratch
again. The

      problem is that there is so many divergent propositions and ideas, and
      aggregate them won't be an easy task.
      Here is a couple of ideas I have glanced from previous threads:
      John Torjo had actually a similar point of view to mine. He was
looking
      for simplicity. As we are talking to a wide range of users, the
library
      should have almost no learning curve. Looking at the basic example in
      the tutorial should be enough to get the fundamental usage of it.
      John had also in mind the possibility to disconnect module of
      application from the logger. For example, from a certain point in the
      code, the GUI logs would be discarded. He also wanted the library to
be
      small, and I fully agree with this.
      A header file and that's it.

    I think this is a very bad idea. Every one try to implement libs in
headers. Why? Why not provide good and comprehensive infrastructure for C++
development? That is major problem. No one can easily pick package from well
known source(repository), say download it and write one or two lines in jam
and had a working solution. With such infrastructure building complex libs
with many dependecies will be as easy as "Just include this header and every
things will work".
Sorry for offtopic, but this problem must be addressed somehow :(

      J> Not anyone agree with this, Vladimir Prus

      for example was expecting something more configurable.

    I strongly agreed with it.

    You provide very good overview about logging problems and their posible
solutions. Looking at it I see that many of them already addressed in
http://log4cpp.sourceforge.net . We use log4cpp over 5 years in 27/7 high
loaded multithreaded application servers on Windows/Linux. There is no good
documentation, but concepts and even api is very close to log4j. So log4j
documentation is perfect start.

With best regards, Konstantin Litvinenko.