From: Stefan Seefeld (seefeld_at_[hidden])
Date: 2007-04-02 13:15:29

Doug Gregor wrote:

>> Why not simply
>> treat the two (main boost, and sandbox) as separate ? All it should
>> take to build something against the two is an additional set of
>> paths (-I and -L), which should be easily hackable into the build
>> system.
>
> We are treating them as separate, but mirroring the layout.

I'm confused. They aren't separate, physically, as they don't (currently)
have all their own entry point. Making them separate is what I'm proposing.

>> The same strategy would be useful to build individual boost libraries
>> in stand-alone mode, i.e. against all dependencies pre-installed.
>> (See the discussion on boost modularity.)
>
> Only if it's a strategy that works. svn:externals don't do that. Do
> we have something else?

Sorry for the confusion. I'm not promoting svn:externals. I'm proposing
to use projects in separate subdirectories, and just using multiple search
paths (-I and -L) to drag in the right versions.
It seems that's exactly what has been discussed as far back as November 2004
(thanks Rene for the link !).

Regards,
                Stefan