From: Darren Garvey (lists.drrngrvy_at_[hidden])
Date: 2007-04-05 16:18:52

[cc'ed from boost-users list]

Hello all,

This may seem off-topic, but I assure you it isn't. ;)

This is an initial probe for ideas about an API for [any] upcoming CGI
library submission. Of particular interest:
*should GET/POST variables be parsed by default? (not _strictly_ API, but
relevant)
*how should GET/POST variables be accessed? Like CGI.pm (perl) or python's
cgi module?
*should cookie variables be accessible just like GET/POST vars, or
separately? Should they be lumped together by default with more direct
access when needed? Would it be confusing to allow user code to determine
behaviour?
*should the CGI environment variables each have explicit functions for their
access, or should (eg.) a generic cgi::get_env() function be used?
*url decoding functions are needed for GET/POST variables. Should url
encoding functions also be provided?
*how transparent should user code be to internationalization/different
character sets?

The reason I'm asking such an open-ended question is that I'm assuming lots
of people here will have experience using CGI libraries (possibly in other
languages, possibly your own) and may have specific ideas about what should
or shouldn't move from them into a Boost.CGI library, if one were accepted.

Whether or not you see the point of a C++ CGI library, your comments on APIs
provided by other languages would still be very much appreciated.

Cheers,
Darren