From: Joel de Guzman (joel_at_[hidden])
Date: 2007-04-12 01:12:09

Eric Niebler wrote:
> Jeff Garland wrote:
>> Hi All -
>>
>> I'm happy to announce that Boost will be mentoring 9 Google SoC projects this
>> year. They are:
> <snip>
>
>> Application to extend Boost regex with recursive matching, named
>> sub-expressions, and automata-based matching
>> Hugh Wimberly John Maddock
> <snip>
[...]

> My advise: implement a simple DFA and use it only for patterns without
> captures (regex_constants::nosubs) or fancy assertions (eg. look-ahead).
> If you need captures and leftmost-biased semantics, just use the
> backtracking NFA.
>
> Oh, and make the DFA so that I can use it in xpressive, too! :-)

FWIW, Spirit2 uses lexertl -- a DFA engine by Ben Hanson. Hartmut
Kaiser did some benchmarks and found it to be almost as fast as RE2C
Hartmut integrated it with Spirit2 and we are very happy with it.
There's room for a couple of DFA engines, I guess...

http://re2c.org/
http://www.benhanson.net/lexertl.html

Regards,

--