From: Daniel Walker (daniel.j.walker_at_[hidden])
Date: 2007-04-13 10:24:52

On 4/12/07, Douglas Gregor <doug.gregor_at_[hidden]> wrote:
> On Apr 12, 2007, at 12:16 AM, Mathias Gaunard wrote:
> > Thank you.
> > This is awesome.
> >
> > A version of GCC, and even precompiled binaries, with all those C++0x
> > features is a good thing as it will allow early usage and spreading of
> > those new features.
>
> The "OSL5" regression tester for Boost CVS HEAD tests a version of
> GCC with all of those C++0x features *except* concepts, so we can
> start (conditionally) using these features in Boost libraries.

So, libraries could begin providing features that rely on decltype
even if the features won't be available on all compilers, so long as
the user has some way to conditionally include the features?

I'm wondering if/when Boost can offer a result_of implementation using
decltype along the lines of your suggested in N1454 (or typeof if
reference preservation is not necessary). Perhaps, Boost.TR1 could
provide a result_of that adheres to the current TR1 proposal and
Boost.Utility could provide a decltype-based result_of.

Also, I believe Boost.Typeof has library-based facilities for auto and
typeof but not decltype. Is there any chance of that happening on the
horizon?

Thanks,
Daniel