From: Rogier van Dalen (rogiervd_at_[hidden])
Date: 2007-04-15 13:14:18

On 4/13/07, Tom Brinkman <reportbase_at_[hidden]> wrote:
> I've written a few freetype wrappers over the years. I've since converted
> it to use boost::gil and
> will be submiting it to GIL graphics library developers as an extension.

My 2p:

Rendering text is quite a hard problem. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I
think the approach you sketch assumes that there is a one-to-one
mapping of characters to glyphs. This is fairly restrictive for
English (e.g. no ligatures are possible); it is remarkably
ungeneralisable to other languages. Most languages, even if written in
the Latin script, require more sophisticated processing.

I imagine it may be a better approach to pass a string of (Unicode?)
characters to a function that renders them all at once.

Cheers,
Rogier