From: Joel de Guzman (joel_at_[hidden])
Date: 2007-04-17 19:52:17

Eric Niebler wrote:
> Joel de Guzman wrote:
>> Michael Marcin wrote:
>>> Or maybe I still don't understand. Are these forward declaration partial
>>> specializations strictly necessary?
>> Yes. It's a means to prevent unwanted ODR violation. Fusion is modular.
>> The support for boost::array comes when you include a header. Imagine
>> a case where a TU does not include the header and another that does.
>> Without the forward declaration, the second TU will pick up the
>> default (non-specialized) implementation, which might or might not
>> compile, but will certainly be a violation of ODR.
>

> Agreed. But we certainly need workarounds for compilers that can't
> handle an incomplete partial specialization. On head, xpressive doesn't
> compile on cw-9.4 because of this problem, and that's a regression from
> 1.34.

Agreed. I intend to go back to the Mac anyway, after a long trek into
Wintel. Sorry if this may be OT but is virtualization really working
well for developers? I'd love to get, say, VisualC++ along side CW.
Also, is CW not a dead-end? It's a pity that they no longer have the
Windows version.

Regards,

--
Joel de Guzman