From: Scott Woods (scottw_at_[hidden])
Date: 2007-04-18 23:09:46

----- Original Message -----
From: "Stjepan Rajko" <stipe_at_[hidden]>
To: <boost_at_[hidden]>
Sent: Thursday, April 19, 2007 10:53 AM
Subject: Re: [boost] Marshalling library

>> The scope of this list get daunting quickly. What is the scope for you
>> guys?
>>

> My personal needs are pretty basic - just making a remote call and
> getting the results back would cut it. In terms of designing a
> marshalling framework, I'd propose separating out as much
> functionality from threading, network, shared memory, and other
> issues, and sticking to the actual function call and execution (for
> starts).

While I understand your motives, I suggest that there are some
preliminary iterations of developing marshalling that may be
leapfrogged, e.g. a sub-system dedicated to delivering RPC might
move through the issues in a blinkered fashion.

For example an initiative that targets RPC but considers threading
and object-based message routing as enabling technologies would
be a different ballgame to the one you are considering?

> What I'm hoping is that things can be designed so that other Boost
> libraries can transparently address these issues through existing
> functionality. For example, the readable/fast encodings can be used
> by allowing the choice of either binary or xml (or text) serialization
> archives offered by Boost.Serialization. A secure channel can be
> established by using an SSL asio connection, etc.

I like the picture but suspect there will be trouble along the road :-)
Without some notion of an overall framework there could be many
deadends. There are already deadends in other Boost threads and on
other forums.

Dont mean to rain on this discussion. Love this area of software
probably cos its proven so intractable.

Cheers.