From: Jeff Garland (jeff_at_[hidden])
Date: 2007-04-23 10:20:42

Shams wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Yes I forgot to mention that and IF possible I'd rather go with a templating
> system but as a separate library or project.
>
> Here is an example of a c++ template language from Google.
> http://goog-ctemplate.sourceforge.net/

You might have missed our earlier discussion of this project:

It's interesting to be sure, but it's interfaces could likely be
improved...things like the ambiguous char* interfaces. Anyway, I don't agree
with Mathias that it's as basic as it first appears. In fact, I think it
holds to the principles espoused in this paper by Terrence Parr (inventor of
antlr parser generator and StringTemplate template engine)

http://www.cs.usfca.edu/~parrt/papers/mvc.templates.pdf

which I suspect is mostly a good evaluation of how to build a minimal but
sufficient templating system.

Anyway, I brought it up simply as evidence that the 'wisdom' that C++ isn't
useful for web programming is flawed -- but ctemplate is licensed well and
targeted at html, so it's certainly possible to use for demonstration purposes
in the SoC project. It could help keep the focus of the CGI library away from
building html responses which I hope we all agree is out of scope.

Jeff