From: Stjepan Rajko (stipe_at_[hidden])
Date: 2007-04-23 22:35:13

Hello,

I have uploaded some documentation and code of a prototype RPC /
marshal library:

http://dancinghacker.com/code/marshal/

It differs from the one I attached yesterday in that it actually works
:-) Tested on Win/MSVC, *should* build on GCC (haven't tested on GCC
after recent changes).

The code is pretty infant but shows some functionality. The docs on
the above website show an example and some discussion points.

In addition to what's listed at the website, I'm wondering what the
proper way of returning the function call results would be... For
example, if the function is void something(int &x), should the
modified "x" value on the remote computer appear in the local x after
the remote call returns?

I can see that as being reasonable if the RPC is synchronous, but if
it is asynchronous maybe something like a future would be a good way
of providing the modified value? (speaking of, could someone suggest
a futures implementation out of the ones that were floating around a
while back?)

The alternative would be to have all modified parameter values be
stored in a call structure (which is what happens now with the regular
return value) and accessible from there.

Any suggestions welcome!

Thanks,

Stjepan