From: Jeff Garland (jeff_at_[hidden])
Date: 2007-04-26 15:34:55

Thomas Witt wrote:
> In article <4630E0FB.4090905_at_[hidden]> Jeff Garland
> <jeff_at_[hidden]> wrote:
>
>> I think searching paths outside the boost tree for a user-config.jam
>> without explicit user input and, in particular, choosing it ahead of
>> one in that is in the local boost tree is a bug -- it violates the
>> principle of least surprise.
>
> FWIW it's not that clear cut to me. You really want to be able to configure
> boost build in some central place without having to look for stuff that
> might interfere.

I don't have a problem with being able to configure it somewhere outside the
tree, it should just be explicit. The likelihood that my home directory is
the 'best answer' is extremely low if I'm working on anything more than a solo
project. So picking that 'first' is very surprising...at least to me.

Jeff