From: Stefan Seefeld (seefeld_at_[hidden])
Date: 2007-04-26 15:43:01

Martin Wille wrote:
> Thomas Witt wrote:
>> In article <4630E0FB.4090905_at_[hidden]> Jeff Garland
>> <jeff_at_[hidden]> wrote:
>>
>>> I think searching paths outside the boost tree for a user-config.jam
>>> without explicit user input and, in particular, choosing it ahead of
>>> one in that is in the local boost tree is a bug -- it violates the
>>> principle of least surprise.
>> FWIW it's not that clear cut to me. You really want to be able to configure
>> boost build in some central place without having to look for stuff that
>> might interfere.
>

> I think Jeff wants these priorities:
>

> 1. local (to the project) configuration files
>
> 2. user configuration
>
> 3. system configuration

FWIW, I totally agree (we did have a short discussion about this on IRC
a while ago). In addition, I don't think the name 'user-config.jam' is
very appropriate, especially as a file in $(HOME). It doesn't give any
hint at being related to boost. There are thousands of 'user config'
things in my home, but most in a project / application - specific
subdirectory, to make it clear what they relate to.

Thanks,
                Stefan