From: Kim Barrett (kab_at_[hidden])
Date: 2007-04-28 13:08:09

At 2:02 AM -0400 4/27/07, Kim Barrett wrote:
> There are several occurrences of
>
> "dereferencing type-punned pointer will break strict aliasing rules"

It seems that this problem has been around for a long time
(essentially this same set of warnings occur with boost 1.33.1 when
built with recent versions of gcc). I've become more sensitive to the
strict aliasing issue, having been personally punched in the nose by
it twice in the last six months, but hadn't realized the boost version
we're using had these warnings. I will certainly be adding a local
patch for our use of Boost 1.34.0 if this isn't addressed as part of
the release, but given its long history this issue might reasonably be
considered non-critical for the general release.

> Note that Python 2.5 on this platform builds with gcc's
> -fno-strict-aliasing option.

A little further digging found that this has been true since Python 2.3.