From: Vladimir Prus (ghost_at_[hidden])
Date: 2007-04-30 15:29:07

Richard Hadsell wrote:

[moving from boost-users]

> I have made several attempts to persuade bjam to use
> /opt/gcc344/bin/g++344, and I finally discovered a solution for this
> part of the problem.  I followed the Boost.Config doc the describes
> setting environment variables and running the configure script:
>
> setenv CXX /opt/gcc344/bin/g++344
> setenv CXXFLAGS "-m64 -fPIC"
> setenv LDFLAGS "-m64 -fPIC"
> configure
>
> Then I looked at the resulting Makefile and user-config.jam.
>
> First, the environment variables seemed to have no effect on the
> user-config.jam.  When I ran bjam afterward, it still used the default
> installed g++ on my system.  So in user-config.jam I changed 'using gcc
> ;' to 'using gcc : 3.4.4 : /opt/gcc344/bin/g++344 ;'.  (This was similar
> to a 'using' statement that I saw in a comment in
> tools/build/v2/user-config.jam.)

I'm starting to wonder if "configure" script being shipped with Boost is
a good idea. The idea is to make standard "./configure && make" work, however,
as above posting shows, "configure" is associated with various
expected behaviour, and unless we want to duplicate all such behaviour,
we can end up confusing users.

- Volodya