From: Beman Dawes (bdawes_at_[hidden])
Date: 2007-05-01 21:51:15

Nicola Musatti wrote:
> Jeff Garland wrote:
> [...]
>> I believe this is urgent because a major backlog of unreleased Boost
>> code has now developed. The asio review was 1.5 years ago -- it's
>> hard to fathom that it's not in a release yet. It's simply not
>> acceptable to wait even 3 months more to get asio and other 'new'
>> libs into a boost release. And besides, asio and the libs above are
>> really just the short list: there's xpressive, GIL, bimap,
>> accumulators, function types, and units that have been accepted now
>> -- huge and important libraries. And it's not stopping, there's a
>> review backlog, a pile of SoC projects, etc. We have to dramatically
>> shorten the release cycle to get these libraries out into a release.
>
> I believe there are to sides to this: one is to come out with 1.35 as
> fast as possible to make up for lost time, the other is to ensure that
> such delays do not happen again. In this respect I'm afraid that Beman's
> approach shares with the current one too much reliance on self
> discipline and team cohesion. Boost is too large and too intertwined to
> rely so much on self discipline and team cohesion simply is not there,
> apart possibly among a small number of veteran core developers. Witness
> for instance how many were taken by surprise by the switch to BBv2.

I agree with you and have been working on a modified version of the
approach I proposed a year ago. It does not depend on self discipline to
nearly as great an extent.

I haven't wanted to distract from the effort to ship 1.34, so haven't
been posting suggested changes to my original proposal. But expect a
revised proposal from me within a few days of 1.34 shipping.

--Beman