From: Christopher Kohlhoff (chris_at_[hidden])
Date: 2007-05-07 01:34:41

On Mon, 07 May 2007 07:18:33 +0300, "Yuval Ronen"
<ronen_yuval_at_[hidden]> said:
> Atry wrote:
> > We already have thread pool and dispatcher in Boost.Asio, although it is
> > a very simple one.
>
> Oh, I didn't know that. Thanks for the pointer! Do they provide the same
> functionality (in general, not up to the last feature)? I will take a
> look at them. IMO, if they are like mine, they should reside in
> Boost.Thread rather than in Asio.

Asio doesn't include any functionality to spawn threads (in a pool or
otherwise). However, the io_service class can be used to dispatch work
items in a thread pool using a combination of io_service::post() and
io_service::run(). It's the same mechanism that is used to dispatch
completion handlers for asynchronous operations.

Cheers,
Chris