From: Felipe Magno de Almeida (felipe.m.almeida_at_[hidden])
Date: 2007-05-09 15:34:01

On 5/9/07, Doug Gregor <dgregor_at_[hidden]> wrote:
> On May 9, 2007, at 3:07 PM, Felipe Magno de Almeida wrote:

> [snip]

> Unfortunately, we have no data either way.

Sure. So probably we shouldnt believe only, or almost so, boost
developers would benefit from this.

> > Mainly if the user has a
> > library-centric design.
>
> I'm quite certain that library developers aren't our main audience.
> Rather, I expect most Boost users are application developers. Most
> applications are only built on one compiler per platform, since
> you're not going to ship binaries built two compilers on the same
> platform. Skimming through the "Who's Using Boost?" pages, I'm seeing
> a bias toward applications.

Most are applications. But that doesnt mean they dont write libraries
to use with those applications. That's one kind of library-centric
design for building applications.
The project I work on is in "Who's Using Boost". Is called MIntercept
and we have lots of libraries. The application is, practically, only
the coordinator of these libraries.
We test some libraries against two versions of VC++, and sometimes
against cygwin too.
It is very useful in C++ to have more than one compiler, and I believe
boost users are very educated in these regards.

> - Doug

Best regards,

--
Felipe Magno de Almeida