From: Michael Marcin (mike_at_[hidden])
Date: 2007-05-10 02:55:01

Bill Hoffman wrote:
> Michael Marcin wrote:
>> I'm confused as to what CMake actually does. Is it just a generator for
>> various makefile/IDE projects from a common description? Does it do
>> dependency tracking and incremental builds? Does it do MD5 summing? I gave
>> a cursory glance at the website but didn't find my answers.
>>

> It does do dependency tracking if the native build system does not
> already do it.

How does it compare speed wise with other solutions? Fast incremental
builds are a very nice thing to have. There have been a few discussions
on the sweng mailing list where CMake has been brought up and I don't
think I ever saw performance reports for it. Generally the attitude
there seems to be that Jam is best and KJam is better than that. How
does CMake compare?

>> For what I read in this thread it sounds like if I'm building my
>> documentation it should spit out a vcproj which and then open and hit build
>> on which then builds my quickbook application and all the libraries it
>> depends on if they don't exist or aren't up to date and then runs quickbook
>> to generate my boostbook xml then runs xlst-proc to generate my html
>> documentation. I don't really understand how that is possible.
>>

> It is possible with custom commands in vcproj files. CMake abstracts
> custom commands so
> you can pretty much run any tool and produce any output you want. VTK
> and QT both use
> code generation. The code generators can be built and then run to
> create code that is
> then compiled. So, running executables to produce pretty much any
> output is possible
> from CMake, and works with VS IDE, nmake, make, Xcode, etc.

I see.

Thanks,

Michael Marcin