From: troy d. straszheim (troy_at_[hidden])
Date: 2007-05-25 09:55:21

On Fri, May 25, 2007 at 09:37:37AM -0400, Stefan Seefeld wrote:
> troy d. straszheim wrote:
>
> > So where should that stuff go? I'm accustomed to having "sandbox"
> > identify a free-form area. 'sandbox-branches' isn't appropriate
> > either. I think the current sandbox should actually be a subdirectory
> > of sandbox called "projects".

A rephrase of the question: where should this stuff that isn't boost
libraries go? A new directory? What to call it?

> In boost itself libraries live next to each other (in terms of file system
> layout). Thus, a sandbox project could be looked at as a single library stored
> 'out-of-place'.

Yes of course.

> The build system should support referring to an existing
> boost tree for the 'official boost' dependencies, such that the sandbox
> project only needs to provide new or updated files, but not a whole copy
> of boost-mainline.

Naturally.

> > Here's another thing. The layout of the sandbox currently does not
> > support independent versioning of projects, e.g., the author of
> > library A has no way to create a branch/tag of A independently of
> > library B. You have to branch the entire sandbox.
>
> I'm not sure what you mean by 'support'. With subversion, branching
> (and tagging) is just a matter of making a copy of the tree you want
> to branch. It's all about conventions. Thus, you can 'branch'
> inside your sandbox project just fine.

But the conventions explicitly prohibit independent versioning of
projects in an organized way. This page:

  http://svn.boost.org/trac/boost/wiki/BoostSandbox

Does not account for how one should branch/tag/trunk one's project in
the sandbox independently of the others.

-t