From: Janek Kozicki (janek_listy_at_[hidden])
Date: 2007-05-28 11:04:12

Sebastian Ramacher said: (by the date of Mon, 28 May 2007 16:47:49 +0200)

> As of version 1.34, Boost.PtrContainer supports serialization as defined
> by Boost.Serialization. Now I'd like to propose a switch to disable this
> feature. The attached patch adds checks if
> BOOST_PTR_CONTAINER_NO_SERIALZATION is defined around the serialization
> related code blocks and enables/disables serialization support.
>
> It's not that I don't like serialization support but on a Debian system
> you have to install libboost-serialization-dev and
> libboost-serialization1.34.0 just to use Boost.PtrContainer.

That's an interesting problem.

What should be the policy about serialization support:

1. the serializaiton support is written in a boost library outside of
boost::serialization (the case here),

2. or should it be written only inside the boost::serialization
library (frequent case with other libraries). So that a
non-serialization library will not pull serialization by header
dependencies...

?