From: Jerry Schwarz (jerry_at_[hidden])
Date: 2007-05-31 02:24:09

You have followed the lead of iostream by using multiple inheritance
to derive binary_iostream from binary_istream and binary_ostream. I
did this originally as a way to make expressions like

     cout << x
     cin >> x

compile time errors. It succeeded in that aim, but it has real
drawbacks. For example it seems that you really shouldn't need
ifstream, ofstream and iofstream. One "fstream" ought to suffice.

I believe that a better approach in the current C++ language would be
to use template programming. Concretely, binary_stream would be a
template

    class binary_stream<bool in, bool out> { ... }

template specialization would then supply concrete classes so that if
in is true you have the input operators and if out is true you have
the output operators.