From: Sebastien Binet (hep.sebastien.binet_at_[hidden])
Date: 2007-06-03 16:59:22

Hi Jeremy,

> As I mentioned, I put together a release - it can be considered the
> starting point for the SoC project.
>
> The "registry" class has some bugs with library unloading. The API for
> it is all in place though. Refer to the registry example to see how to
> use it. That class will change a bit underneath to maximize the
> library unloading possible - but the API should stay the same.
>
> Refer to the HelloWorld sample for the simplest use of the Extension
> library.
>
> Refer to the MultipleInheritance sample for a complicated use of the
> library. Note: multiple inheritance across shared library boundaries is
> messy, and I only made an example of it to show that the library can handle
> complicated inheritance hierarchies involving dynamic and static
> linking.
> Note 2: On Unix systems, you may have to change your LD_LIBRARY_PATH
> for the multiple inheritance example.
>
> The recommended way to use the library (for now) is to download the
> sandbox SVN repository at svn.boost.org. Then you can sync it later to
> pick up new changes.
>
> You may also download just the Extension library at:
> http://svn.boost.org/svn/boost/sandbox/libs/extension/Release%205-29-07.zip

It seems to me your library is missing an interesting feature: loading plugins
on demand.
Right now it seems you have to know in advance in which library a component
resides to load that library, and eventually load the requested component.

I guess a little "manager" class, filled from a boring ASCII file (or
whatever) containing a list of [component-name] : [library name] would be
interesting.
The factory_map would go the plugin manager when somebody says:
 IMyInterface* = gimme<IMyInterface>( "MyConcreteClass" );

The ASCII file(s) could be automatically constructed at build time or
carefully handcrafted.

HTH.

Cheers,
Sebastien.