From: Jake Voytko (jakevoytko_at_[hidden])
Date: 2007-06-13 13:34:28

On 6/13/07, Matt Doyle <mdoyle_at_[hidden]> wrote:

> I have to say that I like the streaming style interface. The only drawback
> that jumps out at me is that every time I look at it, it _feels_ like I
> would be able to do something like:
>
> svg_plot my_plot("./image.svg");
>
> my_plot << image_size(500, 200) << x_scale(-7, 9) << draw_axis();
> for (double i = 1.0; i < 10; i += 1.0)
> {
> my_plot << i;
> }
> my_plot << write();
>
> Or can I??

Currently, no. However, I don't see why I couldn't add that before my
midterm release in July :)

> > > Feedback / use cases welcome ;).
>
> In my situation the data that I might want to visualize isn't directly
> usable (well, meaningful) without interpolation between the data points.
> With the combination of the extractor suggested by Matias and support for
> SVG's Bézier curves then I could output a plot that is more representative
> of the actual data. I'd also like to second Paul Bristow's suggestion for
> auto scaling, if I already knew what was in the container then why would I
> need to "visualize it" :-}

I haven't gotten a chance to look at the Bézier curves yet that SVG
supports. The look is definitely something that I'd want to allow people to
have ( sin(x) would look pretty hideous without a large number of points).
And Paul and Matias' suggestions are part of my vision for how this project
will end up, so don't worry about that :)