From: Eric Niebler (eric_at_[hidden])
Date: 2007-06-14 14:42:52

Larry Evans wrote:
> I think the nullary expression concept is good. I've been trying to
> see how proto relates to algebra's and their transforms (or homo
> morphisms), and algebra's have nullary expressions (true and false
> are nullaries in bool algebra) and the transform
> from one algebra to another map the nullaries of the source
> algebra to nullaries of target algebra. Now one particular
> algebra relevant to proto and spirit and deterministic parsing
> is what I'll call the "derives_empty" algebra. Expressions in
> this target algebra are created by a transform from a source
> algebra which is the algebra of grammar expressions. In that
> transform (call it gram_to_empty), the transforms are:
>
> gram_to_empty(terminal) :-> empty_not
> gram_to_empty(epsilon) :-> empty_yes
> gram_to_empty(non_terminal) :-> empty_unknown
> gram_to_empty(E0 | E1 | ... | En) :->
> gram_to_empty(E0)
> + gram_to_empty(E1)
> + ...
> + gram_to_empty(En)
> gram_to_empty(E0 >> E1 >> ... >> En) :->
> gram_to_empty(E0)
> * gram_to_empty(E1)
> * ...
> * gram_to_empty(En)

<snip>

The presence or absence of terminals as nullary expressions in Proto
doesn't affect your ability to implement this transform in Proto. The
transform would be pretty straightforward, I think. I think it would
make a terrific example, actually. I've been working on the docs for
Proto's transforms. You can find the latest here:

http://boost-sandbox.sourceforge.net/libs/proto/doc/html/boost_proto/user_s_guide/tree_transformations.html

Check out the examples for fold<>, fold_tree<> and applyN<>. I think
they would be the most useful ones for this problem.

--
Eric Niebler
Boost Consulting