From: Richard Day (richardvday_at_[hidden])
Date: 2007-06-14 23:19:10

Sebastian Redl wrote:
> Richard Day wrote:
>
>> The reason it detects this is #defines not actual ODR code violations.
>>

> No, I'm pretty sure the Microsoft linker simply always complains when
> two static libraries contain the same symbol. I know that the errors I
> get in the case I described are linker errors, not compiler errors.
>
> Sebastian Redl
Never having tried it personally I will take your word for it. It makes
sense anyway.
Basically what I am saying is that detecting these ODR violations seems
to require linker modifications.
Something that microsoft purportedly intends to fix by modifying their
tools.
They are aware of the issues it would seem.
See
http://blogs.msdn.com/vcblog/archive/2007/05/17/diagnosing-hidden-odr-violations-in-visual-c-and-fixing-lnk2022.aspx

Best regards,
    Richard Day