From: Jared McIntyre (jmcintyre_at_[hidden])
Date: 2007-06-19 16:05:32

Robert Ramey <ramey <at> rrsd.com> writes:

> Well, its pretty hard to swim in a straightjacket.

:)

Actually, I think my example makes it possible to even contemplate
delivering the changes. If I were delivering these files directly to
end-users where I couldn't control what version of the software they
were on, it would be really hard to deal with (like if these files were
posted on a server somewhere and all the customers software regularly
fetched that file). I have a project that I was thinking of using
serialization for, and I may have to rethink that now, or at least cover
myself more carefully than I expected.

> a) grep the code for everywhere that the serialization library
> version is used. There are only a couple of places - mostly
> in the stl class serialization I think.

I'll probably give this a shot. Asside from the version number, there
are a couple additional tags that mark that it is using version 0 of a
class. Before it didn't post anything for version 0. I'll check to see if
that even needs modifying or if the 1.33 code can digest version 0
tags for objects. Either way, since there were no major changes to
the desrialization format of the objects I'm using, I can probably get
this to work.

> Good Luck.

Thanks. And thanks for the help.

P.S.

One of these days I'm also going to get around to implementing those
xml forward-compatibility deserialization we talked about ages ago
which would probably have helped me here if I'd gotten it done when
we talked about it.

Jared