From: Stjepan Rajko (stipe_at_[hidden])
Date: 2007-06-25 15:31:24

Hello,

A couple weeks ago I found out that the sandbox template script (which
is supposed to customize a template to give a new boost developer a
good starting point for a new project) not only required python 2.5
but also ran only under windows... My sincere apologies to anyone that
tried the script outside the very limited context in which it worked,
only to find it a waste of time - I should have known better than to
test only on windows...

Anyway, I have since spent some time to make the script compatible
with Python 2.3, added automatized testing scripts, and tested both on
windows and os x.

Here are some use cases for the script, which you can try out from the
template-under-construction directory of the boost sandbox, if you
happen to be starting a new boost sandbox project. In each case, the
script will generate the recommended directory tree for the project
with a simple library implementation, tests, example, doc source and
build files.

To start a new sandbox project (the script will ask you for any
required information):

    python file_template.py sandbox

To start a new sandbox project and provide the required information in
the command line:

    python file_template.py sandbox library=my_library "authors=John J. Doe"

To start a new sandbox project with the optional Xcode and MSVC IDE
projects and a non-default documentation format:

    python file_template.py sandbox library=file_template
"authors=Stjepan Rajko" docs=qb xcodeide=y vc8ide=y

To ignore the code provided in the template, and instead integrate
your existing code into the new sandbox project:

    python file_template.py sandbox library=my_library "authors=John
Doe,Jane Dough" fignore=.hpp fignore=.cpp /path/to/existing/my_library
into=my_library

The documentation has more informationon both the sandbox template and
the template processor:

http://dancinghacker.com/code/template/

If you decide to try this out I'd appreciate your feedback.

Best regards,

Stjepan