From: Peter Foley (peter_at_[hidden])
Date: 2007-06-28 04:17:53

All,

(I have cross-posted this to the Dev list as recently there had been
some discussion over licensing and to ensure that this gets the
appropriate visibility by interested people. If you respond to this
post could you please move it to the boost-docs list.)

To assist with the revamp of the look and feel for the Boost
Documentation project (http://tinyurl.com/2uxfut) that Matias is
currently spearheading I am trying to find SVG icons that are licensed
under a Creative Commons style license (the icons I am currently
recommending are specifically licensed under the "Create Commons
Attribution Share-Alike license" http://tinyurl.com/aj2s6).

>From reading through the archives and the recent thread about the
current status of licensed code within Boost and reading the link off
the boost home page for the Boost Software License
(http://tinyurl.com/2xood5). It appears that the preference is for all
code and documentation to be licensed under the BSL.

Rather than risk proposing icons that are not licensed appropriately and
then find that the license type was not acceptable I thought I would
solicit feedback first.

I have two questions for you to answer:

The first question is: Would image files be "required to" or "the
preference is" use the BSL.

The second question is: If it was decided that it is only a preference.
Would the above linked license (Creative Commons Attribution Share-Alike
license) be acceptable to the boost community?

Thanks,

Peter.

PS: Not that it is relevant if there is a requirement for the Icons to
be licensed under the BSL we might need to find someone with some skill
in creating icons (I don't have a graphical bone in my body =p)