From: Peter Dimov (pdimov_at_[hidden])
Date: 2007-07-29 19:27:12

Edward Diener wrote:
> Peter Dimov wrote:
>> Edward Diener wrote:
>>
>>> You believe that every end user who wants to use a particular Boost
>>> library should run a test script just to determine whether or not
>>> that library is supported by Boost for the compiler/version which
>>> that person uses ?
>>
>> Every end user who is not sure whether his configuration is
>> supported by a particular library can run the tests. This is
>> generally done by invoking 'bjam' (or 'bjam --toolset=foo' if the
>> default doesn't work)
>
> This now gets into understanding how bjam works. Argh !!!
>
> How does one find out the name of the toolset which corresponds to the
> compiler/version which one wants to test ?

I'm actually quite sympathetic to your reaction. :-)

In this case the 'Getting Started' document seems to explain things
relatively well:

http://www.boost.org/more/getting_started/index.html

and our hypothetical user would probably need to confront bjam earlier or
later anyway because of filesystem, regex or another useful library that
requires building.

This whole process will be of course easier if we have a "how do I run the
tests for a specific library" guide. Khm. You seem to find your way with
words quite well. (ducks)