From: David A. Greene (greened_at_[hidden])
Date: 2007-07-31 15:40:26

On Tuesday 31 July 2007 13:47, Vladimir Prus wrote:

> If I understand correctly, no other LLVM developer has this problem, right?

No one else has reported it.

> Then, it suggests either some particular flakiness in your network
> environment, or your svn client is somehow broken.

If "flakiness" means "latency," then that may very well be the case. But
network latency is not an issue of "flake." It's a reality of life. Things
should not break due to latency. Certainly working directories should
not get corrupted! That is a showstopper for me and is why I refuse to
put any of my personal projects into Subversion.

> And there are many projects larger than LLVM that don't have any
> problems.

So maybe it's not a scale issue. All I know is that I've had real problems
with Subversion, even after upgrading to the latest release. Others have
reported similar problems on other projects. So even if no other _llvm_
developer has seen these problems, other developers on other projects
have.

I'm just giving the Boost community a heads-up as to my personal experience.
The community is free to decide whether it's useful information. I don't use
the Boost repository all that much and I don't have commit access so it makes
no difference to me.

                                               -Dave