From: David Abrahams (dave_at_[hidden])
Date: 2007-08-01 09:03:52

on Wed Aug 01 2007, Eric Niebler <eric-AT-boost-consulting.com> wrote:

>> I'm curious about the property maps reference in the time series
>> documentation. Boost already has a property maps library (actually
>> just a header file). It's used heavily by Boost.Graph. I'm curious
>> how your interpretation differs and whether or not it's worth trying
>> to merge them or if they're just fundamentally different.
>
> The new property map code is actually from Dave A., so perhaps he
> could say a few words about it. I don't think it's fundamentally
> different.

It was an attempt to evolve the Boost property map concepts, mostly by
using function call notation instead of get() and set() functions (or
operator[]) as the current property map does. This change was Doug
Gregor's idea, and I think it's a good one in principle. I was also
trying to build a multi-type concept that bundled the function with
the iterators. However, Jeremy Siek pointed out that once you have
function call notation, you don't really need creative names like
"cursor", because it's just an iterator and a function, for which we
already have concepts... and he objected strongly to the reuse of the
concept name PropertyMap which already has a different meaning
(currently just referring to the role played by the function part of
the bundle, but using get/set). I agree with Jeremy, and eventually
dropped the use of that name and started to rethink the bundling, but
Eric had already picked up the concept checking/traits code from me.
I think the concepts worked for Eric so he never felt it was important
to rethink them, but given that Boost.PropertyMap already exists, some
re-examination would probably be a good idea if TimeSeries is
accepted.

--
Dave Abrahams
Boost Consulting