From: Douglas Gregor (dgregor_at_[hidden])
Date: 2007-08-03 11:13:04

David Abrahams wrote:
> on Thu Aug 02 2007, Doug Gregor <dgregor-AT-osl.iu.edu> wrote:
>
>> At one point, I thought we could fix this problem with a stable
>> branch based on 1.34.1, from which future releases would occur. Now,
>> I'm convinced that is the absolutely wrong approach.
>>

> Are you saying that 1.35 shouldn't be based on 1.34.1, or is it
> something else?
I don't know what to do about 1.35.0. We need to get it out sooner
rather than later, and it seems that the build-it-from-1.34.1 approach
is the only way that's going to happen.

It's a band-aid, not a long-term solution, and it hurts us to prolong
the trunk/release divergence.

> You said yourself that our trunk is a mess.

Yes, and we need to fix the trunk, not devise elaborate processes to
isolate the "civilized world" of releases from the "wild west" of the
development trunk.

The title of this thread is "best practices" but the discussion has used
the term "policy". A best practice is a suggestion that developers are
free to ignore; a policy is a requirement that will somehow be enforced.
Which one are we discussing?

    - Doug