From: Robert Ramey (ramey_at_[hidden])
Date: 2007-08-03 12:20:13

David Abrahams wrote:
> on Thu Aug 02 2007, "Robert Ramey" <ramey-AT-rrsd.com> wrote:
>
>> Of course the beauty of this is we really don't all have to agree.
>> You're free to improve the tools for trunk testing and the like and
>> those of us who want to are free to use branches for development.
>
> You could have been using branches for development all along. I do it
> often. It helps me get work done without worrying about other
> peoples' changes, and gives me a place to check in my work at
> intermediate points when it isn't ready for release. However, it
> doesn't change anything fundamental about the release process.

As a practical matter, thats what a number of us are effectively doing.

We're running development tests on our local system against
the latest release. There is currently no real value in creating
a branch because that branch is never going to get tested
anywhere besides one's local machine anyway.

And you're correct, this doesn't change the fundamental release
procedures. It keeps the release procedures from making
our own lives difficult. So from an individual developer's
standpoint, its not really that great a problem anymore.

Except for the tools we have to use - which is a whole
other thread.

Robert Ramey