From: Anthony Williams (anthony_w.geo_at_[hidden])
Date: 2007-08-03 12:46:25

"Robert Ramey" <ramey_at_[hidden]> writes:

> The other scenenario. Author A makes his changes and runs
> his tests and things are great. Unbeknownst to him, he has
> changed the public interface, by enforcing a previously
> unenforced interface requirement (I did this once) and
> of course he doesn't notice as his tests run. At this
> point the changes are merged into the next release and
> stuff in other libraries break. This is not the case where
> the maintainer of A is AWOL its just a normal fiasco
> which has to be resolved in the usual manner.
>
> So I would refine the proposal somewhat to
>
> a) development and tests are run on a branch (for that library)
> b) when its time to merge tests are run next release branch
> with the library switched in. That is, one can run the test
> with all of boost BEFORE the library is actually merged in
> c) If b passes then the changes are merged into the release and all
> tests are run again just to make sure.

The issue is what to do if b) fails with an error in library B. Author A has
just made a change that breaks another library (even if the other library was
depending on something it shouldn't have done). If author B cannot or will not
fix the problem, what do we do? What if the change makes library B unusable?

Anthony

--
Anthony Williams
Just Software Solutions Ltd - http://www.justsoftwaresolutions.co.uk