From: Stefan Seefeld (seefeld_at_[hidden])
Date: 2007-08-04 04:58:52

Vladimir Prus wrote:
> Stefan Seefeld wrote:
>
>> Robert Ramey wrote:
>>
>>> We're running development tests on our local system against
>>> the latest release. There is currently no real value in creating
>>> a branch because that branch is never going to get tested
>>> anywhere besides one's local machine anyway.
>> How does this actually work ? I have been proposing changes to
>> Boost.Build (v2) to allow an individual library to be built / tested
>> against an installed (or at least, external) boost tree providing
>> the prerequisites.
>
> Err, what changes do you want and why:
>
> svn sw <some-branch>
> <regular testing procedure>
>
> is not adequate?

This assumes that branches are self-contained copies (in the cow sense)
of the whole boost tree. I'm talking about boost component A, compiled
and tested against (a variety of) boost prerequisite components B that
are built (and possibly installed) separately.

This logical and technical separation between A and B is the kind of
modularity I have in mind. Whether that actually leads to separate
release cycles for A and B is an entirely different (and to the most
degree non-technical) matter.

And I believe something similar is what Robert was alluding to when
talking about "running development tests on our local system against
the latest release". Correct ?

Thanks,
                Stefan