From: Stefan Seefeld (seefeld_at_[hidden])
Date: 2007-08-05 09:50:13

David Abrahams wrote:

>>> Neither systems can trace #include dependencies through macros
>>> (e.g. #include SOME_MACRO(xyz)), which occasionally leads to
>>> inaccurate results from incremental testing. This is an important
>>> problem that should be fixed.
>> For instance writing that with python should be possible. I'm not
>> good at python, but I can imagine writing this sort of thing.
>
> I can't imagine that a C++ preprocessor written in python could be
> as efficient as one written in C++, and it's certainly a waste of
> programmer resources, since we have Wave.

FWIW, I submitted a patch to SCons providing a python extension
module around ucpp (http://pornin.nerim.net/ucpp/) to provide a
'more accurate' C/C++ dependency scanner, long before wave was around.

Steven refused that, believing that it could (and should) all be done
in pure python. That was many years ago, and the situation hasn't
substantially changed since then.

Regards,
                Stefan