From: Stefan Seefeld (seefeld_at_[hidden])
Date: 2007-08-05 12:25:53

Douglas Gregor wrote:
> John Maddock wrote:
>> Just wondering, but can we set up the SVN commit script to verify the file
>> with our inspect program before a commit is allowed? No doubt folks will be
>> greatly annoyed by this at first, but at least we should gradually get those
>> inspection-failures fixed that way :-)
>>
> Yes, we can. We're already doing checks for MIME types, end-of-line
> styles, and well-formed XML.

We just ran into a false positive with validating XML. The problem here, I believe,
is that a pre-commit script simply invokes xmllint. That, however, may miss important
variables that would otherwise be present (in a regular build).
(The actual error is due to xmllint failing to find entity definitions from an .ent
file.)

To fix this properly, the validation would need to invoke the build system itself,
since only there all the relevant variables are known. But is that really the
right thing to do from within a pre-checkin validation script ?
You don't invoke a C++ compiler to make sure a patched C++ file actually compiles,
either...

Regards,
                Stefan