From: John Maddock (john_at_[hidden])
Date: 2007-08-10 04:53:02

Daniel Wallin wrote:
>>> Thinking somewhat outside the box here ... but could SVN be
>>> conscripted for this purpose,
>>
>> The biggest downside of that idea is that it would be very expensive
>> in SVN resources to ever give real-time feedback from testing,
>> because you'd need a separate checkin for each build step.

Maybe, you'd probably want a separate repository just for the test logs.

> .. And it would clutter our revision history with test log checkins.
> And we'd loose all capability of making complex queries on the data.

Are you sure?

> What are the upsides to using svn for this, when there are proper
> databases available?

Probably not many: we're using SVN already, folks know what they're doing
with it, and we get a revision history of changes to program output: could
be useful if you're trying to gradually suppress/fix warnings and you want a
diff of recent changes to see if there's any progress.

*But*: this was just an idea thrown in: I'm perfectly happy with Rene's
suggestion of sending individual build steps to a database, and then using
std database/web tools to present the results. And frankly I'd say that
whoever is prepared to invest the time in this gets to choose ! :-)

John.