From: Daniel Wallin (daniel_at_[hidden])
Date: 2007-08-10 18:22:47

David Abrahams wrote:
> on Thu Aug 09 2007, Daniel Wallin <daniel-AT-boost-consulting.com> wrote:
>
>> David Abrahams wrote:

>>> Sure, that's what the Trac plugin would do.

>>> The biggest downside of that idea is that it would be very expensive
>>> in SVN resources to ever give real-time feedback from testing, because
>>> you'd need a separate checkin for each build step.
>> .. And it would clutter our revision history with test log
>> checkins.
>
> Yes, that exactly puts a finger on something I was worried about but
> couldn't articulate. On the other hand, that's something you deal
> with any time you have lots of semi-unrelated activity in source
> control. For example, the sandbox and the boost release tree are all
> together (not to mention all the separate libraries).
>
>> And we'd loose all capability of making complex queries on the
>> data.
>
> What did you have in mind?

Anything that isn't "what was the state at this time?". I don't know
what it might be, but my point was that when someone comes up with
something we might not be able to do it, because we would have picked a
system that isn't as flexible and fast as a relational database when it
comes to querying data.

--
Daniel Wallin
Boost Consulting