From: Ion Gaztañaga (igaztanaga_at_[hidden])
Date: 2007-08-13 04:17:19

Howard Hinnant wrote:
> It's been awhile since I looked at the most recent Freescale STL, but
> last time I looked, this flag was on by default. This optimization
> was originally written before the Freescale linker did code folding.
> After the Freescale linker did code folding it appeared to me that the
> two optimizations worked together synergistically. I.e. sometimes the
> lib would catch stuff the linker missed and vice-versa.

Caught lurking again ;-)

> Fwiw, it isn't an easy optimization in the lib to get right (I got it
> wrong first time out of the gate). But it does seem worthwhile. I
> had a major customer once tell me this optimization saved him 750Kb
> code, and this was back when a Mb of code was a lot. ;-)

This might be an interesting addition to Interprocess (apart from adding
the use of memcpy/memmove for POD types).

Fwiw, I've saved some KB on my executable on such systems changing uses
of "once-constructed read-only" strings from std::string to hand-managed
const char *. Sometimes, something similar to a unique_array<const char
*> is all that you need.

> -Howard

Regards,

Ion