From: Giovanni Piero Deretta (gpderetta_at_[hidden])
Date: 2007-08-13 11:00:02

On 8/13/07, David Abrahams <dave_at_[hidden]> wrote:

> on Mon Aug 13 2007, "Martin Schulz" <Martin.Schulz-AT-synopsys.com> wrote:
>
> > Giovanni, sorry for the late reply.
> >
> >> Consider this:
> >>
> >> std::vector<int> x = ....
> >> for_each(filter(x, some_filter_op), do_something);
> >>
> >> 'Filter' will obviously return a proxy for 'x' (actually
> >> wrapping x iterators with boost::filter iterators) as a
> >> temporary object.
> >> for_each will bind the temporary to a const reference (at
> >> least until we get rvalue references).
> >
> > The fact that temporary objects cannot be passed in as non-const
> > references had been decided to avoid programming accidents in that
> > modifications to the temporary object were assumed to be
> > meaningfull and should be preserved. If you want this object as
> > non-const nevertheless, simply give a name to it.
>
> That's less simple than you make it sound. It could have a very
> complicated type.

Yep, exactly. And when you throw boost.lambda in, your objects have types
you do not even want to look at.

> One good way to deal with this is to make the proxy object return a
> constant object. Then it will bind to a T& parameter.

That was what I did at the beginning, but I had to deal with lots of third party
functions that didn't constify their arguments, so I ended up writing
a forwarding
layer that provides all const/non-const overloads up to 5 arguments (I
could have used
the one provided by fusion, but I'm stuck with boost 1.32, so I have
to reinvent the wheel
over and over). All my range functions are actually function objects
(for bind compatibility) so this works very well.

> Furthermore, the constness of the proxy should not affect the
> constness of its access to elements of x. That essentially means
> returning a different proxy type depending on whether the incoming
> container is const or not.

Agree 100%.

gpd